As summer temperatures rise so does the rate of heat-related incidents. The Franklin Police Department reminds you to take these 7 precautions to ensure you and your neighbors are able to enjoy the summer weather safely:
- NEVER leave children or pets alone in hot vehicles! Heat can quickly rise in a car … up to 20 degrees in just 10 minutes! If you see a child in a hot car, call 9-1-1 immediately.
- Check on family members and neighbors, especially those who are older, to be sure they are keeping cool.
- If you have to be outside, drink plenty of fluids to stay hydrated and take frequent breaks in the shade.
- Know the signs of heat-related illnesses.
- Do not use electric fans when the temperature outside is more than 95 degrees, as this could increase the risk of heat-related illness. Fans create air flow and a false sense of comfort but do not reduce body temperature.
- Avoid high-energy activities.
- Check on your pets-bring them inside and provide them with plenty of cool water.
These reminders courtesy our friends at Nextdoor. Connect with your neighbors and get neighborhood-level information from Franklin Police, intended specifically for you and your family by signing up at Nextdoor.
# # #